A wide variety of items in New Eden are possible thanks to modern technology.
Amazing as it may seem, a world as strange as New Eden is nonetheless full of regular people trying their best to lead ordinary, non-eventful lives. Said lives may not contain the excitement of large-scale fleet battles, POS conquests, missions against pirate factions or, well, mining...but then, we can't all be capsuleers. Nonetheless, technological advancements have made great leaps in improving the lives of the invisible masses.
- Caretaker drones are a breakthrough for the disabled.
- Chairs have come a long way.
- The ubiquitous datapad or holopad is the root of all communication and thus the indirect enabler of humanity's greatest misunderstandings.
- Handheld video cameras are in use among the populace.
- Holo-frames are a common sight in cramped spaces.
- Hovertables serve a valuable, if rather menial, purpose.
- Kapli is a ceremonial bread baked by Minmatar slaves.
- Khari ovens may be used for cooking.
- Microblade scythes may be used for harvesting wheat.
- Nanite-infused makeup may be needed for even the rosiest of complexions.
- Plants can be made a more permanent decor accessory.
- Plasma-nanite panels can be used to display images.
- Polysteel tables can have their shape reconfigured.
- Quafe+ was available for a very limited time in a very specific part of New Eden, and recalled for a (SOYLENT GREEN IS PE-) perfectly legitimate reason.
- Scramblers maintain the privacy of a public conversation.
- Underground parking complexes can have walls made of metal and opaque plastic.
- Virgin roe might be an acquired taste.
Engineering and Industrial
New Eden is a complicated world, and runs on grime and cogwheels as much as any other. The various implementations of the latest in engineering theories are seen not merely in the construction of amazing orbital bodies, but also in increasingly efficient use of natural phenomena—asteroids, certainly, but also ice clusters, comet clouds and more.
- Armor rig cans are used by mechanics on rig pumps.
- Augumen is a cheap, dirty replacement of pyroxeres.
- Starship/module blueprints are varied but share a similar technological base.
- Cassandra is the Federation's most advanced solar monitoring system.
- Genesis vaults have been created for worst-case scenarios.
- Gravboots are necessary for all manner of work.
- Hydrotrisulfate is something you don't want to drink.
- Isogen-5 may be used for extremely complex technology and for extremely destructive explosions.
- Mining colonies are a key component of interstellar industry.
- MTACs are used for all manner of heavy duty work.
- Nanoids are not nanites.
- Neuro-embryonic containment fluid keeps capsuleers afloat.
- Nocxium is a critical material for capsule construction.
- Platinum-thorium is a common alloy.
- Polycarb glass is a watertight material.
- Quantum nanomorphic alloy keeps capsuleers contained.
- Sheerite is a glass-like material used in construction.
- Straker saws enable precision cuts.
- Touch-sensitive pads can be obscured in flooring.
- Without the transneural burning scanner, capsuleer deaths would hold a very different and rather more final meaning.
- Transparent nanoalloy is what we call 'glass'.
- Vernicium is a drone-related byproduct.
- Walkers are mechanized suits for a variety of dangerous industrial tasks.
It is an unfortunate consequence of politics and economics that New Eden's advances in medical science have not found their way to all corners of the cluster. These days, research and implementation is primarily focused on combat-related ventures, not merely related to capsuleers and interstellar combat, but also to modern ground-based warfare. After all, while ground troops get hurt all the time as a matter of course, interstellar combat operates by different rules: While there may certainly be a need for medical assistance onboard a ship, the likelihood of one sustaining an injury that requires medical intervention is in fact rather low. One either survives space combat, or one does not.
- Automated intensive care units are primarily a clone host with military applications.
- Bio-nanological sealants, also known as biofoam, help repair breaches.
- Cellular regenerators can be a godsend, particularly if the subject cannot be cloned.
- Clone reanimation units take care of clone activation.
- Cortex constructors are needed to get new clones up and running.
- Cryo-caskets are used for long journeys.
- Dead man's needles are the technological successor of the IV needle.
- Dead man's switches help in desperate cases where oblivion is needed. Someone else's oblivion, that is.
- A specialized dialysis machine has been known to be put to use.
- Epidermal patches are bandages for the modern age.
- Laser scalpels are of use in the operating room.
- Plexiglass syringes are a cheap method of delivering nano-materials to the bloodstream.
- Predicatus Ingvarious is a dangerous congenital disease.
- Prosthetics, a thankful solution to a host of ugly causes, are used in New Eden, even at the highest levels of society.
- Rehydrators may be vital to someone undergoing chemical treatment.
- Sokavali Solution is used in the medical field, and by sadists.
- The Vitoc method is a way of enforcing slavery with little physical effort.
Interstellar Ship Tech
Interstellar vessels come in many shapes and sizes, and even two of the same type may take on entirely different guises depending on the technology they have been outfitted with. Ship technology—research, production and fitting—has long been a vast and productive field unto itself; even more so in recent times since New Eden's capsuleers started looking into it for murderous fun and profit.
- Camera drones allow a pilot to observe the surroundings of his ship.
- Cross-capsule variant ships do exist.
- Luxury yachts have been known to sail the starry skies.
Information and Entertainment
The implementation of information technology is extremely diverse in New Eden, though empire authorities have gone to great lengths to standardize it. The same variety applies to entertainment, which differs greatly between systems. In some places it may be culturally acceptable to down a glass of Chest Wound and loudly clear one's throat to dislodge whatever charred remains persist there, while elsewhere, saying a quiet prayer and having a glass of water might be considered the pinnacle of one's Saturday night.
- Adakul manuals are sold in Izoni Square.
- Aura is the greatest example in the cluster of embedded, sarcastic computing.
- C3 is a drug that lets you compartmentalize specific parts of your thought processes. Also, it gets you high.
- Camera drones are used for entertainment, and not just on ships.
- Chest Wounds are, quite possibly, not at all what one might imagine, though the eventual outcome may feel remarkably similar to the real thing.
- ChromIts are a popular children's toy, especially with the Minmatar.
- Communication monitors are portable two-way communication devices.
- Communication relays are used in interstellar data transfer.
- Data disks are disks that hold data.
- Datacores are an important part of the invention process.
- The Egone is a broadcasting technology and system.
- Fluid routers are used in FTL communications.
- Holographic interfaces may be required for certain complex operations.
- Holographic paintings break the fourth wall.
- Holoprojectors may be used to display information in three-dimensional space from and on all kinds of surfaces.
- Holosymphs are sold in Izoni Square.
- HoloVision is a standard news transmission method.
- Information panels allow for mobile communication.
- Isolation booths block sound and electrical signals.
- Miniature laser pointers are useful in corporations.
- Modcoms are used for internal office communication.
- Multispecs render visible invisible wavelengths of light.
- Nano-tattoos are applied to many denizens, particularly Minmatar.
- Neural boosters, it must be argued, are one of the more extraordinary types of self-improvement, temporary though it may be.
- The Pax Amarria is a religious book highly popular in the Amarr Empire.
- Personal ID cards may be required for admission and confirmation of personal privileges.
- Scriptual terp mods are sold in Izoni Square.
- TASCs are necessary for interstellar communications devices.
- Tonic 12 is an illegal smart drug.
- Translator modules are vital for communication between societies.
- Transnano is the modern replacement for glass.
- Video broadcasting technology is present in many areas of life, from Mind Clash to meetings.
- New Eden is host to a wealth of virtual entertainment.
New Eden's weaponry spans an amazing range from old, tried and tested rock-and-spear to advanced and highly complicated technological machinery. Its purpose, however, remains consistent throughout: To cause horrifying amounts of damage (sometimes in horrifying ways, too).
A personal weapon is a weapon that can be carried and employed by a single person, although its use may be restricted to specialist members of attack or defense teams. Some larger personal weapons may usually be operated by two man teams, an aimer and a loader.
- Non-lethal weaponry
Other Military Technology
- Achilles missiles were at one time a highly coveted weapon.
- Acoustic beam projectors are a sound-based weapon usable for crowd control.
- Armored personnel carriers are used for infantry transports.
- Border Zone Defense Matrix helps keep the Gallente from being invaded by the Caldari. Well, most of the time.
- Bullets aren't very advanced, but they get the job done.
- Dead man's switches double as EMP bombs and automated mind wipes.
- DNA poisoning is a method of assassination popular among the discreet.
- Dog tags are worn by many people as identification.
- Drones are an important part of warfare, especially for the Gallente.
- Echolocs are used to determine the layout of a building.
- Holy star is an Amarr torture device.
- Insta-hardening foam bombs are non-lethal.
- Modified pliers are used as a crude torture instrument by the Gallente.
- Morph fields may be of use when one wants to keep one's identity to oneself.
- Multi-burst grenades can be very disorienting.
- Nanolysins go through the body like a hot knife through buttery blood cells.
- Ocular filters reflect their surroundings.
- Organic camouflage is probably just as gross as you'd imagine.
- Permeation-proof armor is good temporary protection.
- Scout minis are used by the Black Eagles.
- Sentries are used by the Black Eagles.
- Sin Eater is an Amarr torture device.
- Sleeping gas is particularly useful in oxygen-controlled environment, such as stations.
- Stim packs can save lives.
- Wooden Stars are a basic torture instrument used by the Minmatar.
Transport is a major concern in a world as extensive as New Eden. While its systems are large enough that they can easily room capsuleers, commutes may still suffer from delays and complexities at the various chokepoints that must exist along each route: Station hangars, stargates, and other capsuleers with ECMs and far too much time on their hands.
- Bioturbs are monorails.
- CD-1 is the callsign of CreoDron's flagship.
- Dropships are a vital component of atmospheric transport.
- Escape pods work when your primary mode of transportation doesn't.
- Grav-trolleys allows for transport of items too heavy for one man to lift.
- Hovercars may not need wheels, but they still need roads.
- Planetary vehicles are the main method of transportation for billions of motorists.
- Prisoner cargo vehicles are sometimes necessary for safe transport.
- Space elevators may take its occupant on a dizzying ride.