Damage refers to the destruction of hitpoints on ships or structures. It is necessary to destroy these hitpoints if a ship or structure is to be destroyed.
There are four damage types:
- Electromagnetic (EM)
- Explosive (Exp)
- Kinetic (Kin)
- Thermal (Therm)
Weapon damage is generaly restricted to one or two damage types. The type and amount of damage done is generally governed by the ammunition used and the weapon it is fired from. The notable exceptions are drones, smartbombs and doomsday weapons.
Rats and other NPCs are often also limited to specific damage types, and as such fittings used for attacking particular rats can be designed to have higher resistances against those damage types.
Factors influencing damage
- Raw vs Effective damage - How much damage is absorbed by resistances
- Range - Greater range outside of optimal range leads to reduced damage and chance to hit.
- Target angular velocity (tracking) - Relative speeds between ships reduces the chance to hit.
- Target signature radius - Affects the damage done to relatively smaller/larger targets than the weapon's radius
- Target Velocity - Affects damage done to the target relative to missile velocity
- Target signature radius - Affects damage done to the target relative to missile signature radius