Anchoring stuff in space
Throwing stuff into outer space is all kinds of fun already, but for bonus points some objects can be anchored so they'll stick around for a while - password protected containers are all kinds of neat, and this will show you how to launch one!
Start out by assembling a space-worthy container - such as a Small Secure Container. You can't do this in your ship, so assemble it before you leave! Get to your target spot in space and get ready to toss it out the air lock. Find the container within your ships cargohold and right click on it. From the context mendu. select LAUNCH FOR SELF to make the container a personal container that ignores corporation permissions and settings. Launching for Self is not so much the selfish thing it sounds like - anybody with the password can still open it. If you decide to select LAUNCH FOR COPORATION instead, only your fellow corporation members with the appropriate corporation permissions can anchor / unanchor it.
After launching the container, you want to anchor it in space before it decays (well, you have two hours) or gets scooped up by somebody else (LOOK BEHIND YOU!), so spot where it went and right click that bad boy. Out in space, right click on the newly appeared container and select ANCHOR from the context menu. Anchoring the container will take 60 seconds and cannot be done in systems with securities above 0.8, within 5km of another object, or within 25km of a POS.
Now your big floating box is safe in space, but its contents are not - yet. Time to set a password. Out in space, right click on the container and select SET PASSWORD from the context menu. Make sure you set the password after the container is anchored, or bad things may happen
Finally, don't forget what containers are for! Open the container and enter your password. Best leave something yummy in there.
Other Stuff That Can Be Anchored
Capsuleers can only anchor a container if they have the skill Anchoring trained to at least level one. If you are wondering why you might wish to train this further, here is a survey of other things you can anchor:
- Secure Containers (Level 1)
- Most Player Owned Structure (POS) Structures (control towers, laboratories, maintenance arrays, refineries, etc.) require Level 1, however
- ECM Projection Battery (Level 3) (Ion Field/White Noise Generator/Spacial Destabilization/Phase Inversion)
- Reactor Arrays (Level 2)
- Shield Hardening Arrays (Level 2)
- Warp Bubbles: The bigger it is and higher tech level, the higher anchoring skill you will need, ranging from
- Mobile Small Warp Disruptor I (Level 2)
- Mobile Small Warp Disruptor II (Level 3)
- Mobile Large Warp Disruptor I (Level 4)
- Mobile Large Warp Disruptor II (Level 5)